Inclement Weather Policy
Purpose: To establish when and how to cancel church activities due to inclement weather.
Policy: It is the policy of UUCS to cancel church activities in the event of National Weather Service warnings in place as of 8 AM the morning of the service.
Procedure: In the event of the possibility of inclement weather making travel treacherous or impossible for Sunday church activities, the following should occur:
- An email is sent to the congregation email list, no later than 8pm on Saturday, indicating that church activities may be canceled for Sunday. Final decision is sent in another email by 8am on Sunday. If the service is cancelled then it is also posted on the UUCS Web site by 8am Sunday.
- The Board President and Minister will confer by 7am Sunday to make a final decision about church services. If the board president is not available, the vice president will engage. If the Minister is not available, the chair of Worship Associates will engage. Discretion applies, but generally speaking it is warranted to cancel services in the event a National Weather Service warning for Loudoun or Fairfax counties indicating that travel is inadvisable is in place at that time.
- Once a final decision is made, an email is sent to the congregation with that decision.
- If church activities are canceled:
- The front page of the Web site is updated to indicate that decision.
- It is the responsibility of the Minister (or the chair of Worship Associates if the minister is not available) in consultation with the Board President (or Vice President if the Board president is unavailable) to make a decision about canceling church activities.
- It is the responsibility of the Board President to ensure that the above procedure is carried out. The Board President (or Vice President if the President is not available) will communicate the final decision to the communications team.
- It is the responsibility of the Webmaster to ensure that the front page of the website is updated.
- It is the responsibility of the Communications Team to ensure that an announcement regarding the decision is sent to the congregational email list both on Saturday by 8pm and Sunday by 8am. The administrator can assist with this as available.